Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Contrition

I give to you a story in eleventy-one words...

‘Your transfer is complete.’ He shifted uncomfortably.

‘Thank you, Eminence.’

‘I have heard your confession and trust your contrition.’ He paused. ‘ You know you can never return to that parish.’

‘I understand, Eminence.’

‘I encourage you to condemn your actions but forgive yourself.’

‘I shall, Eminence.’

‘Your path will be brutal; you must never again succumb to those appetites.’

‘I know, Eminence. I will not allow it to happen again.’

‘You are a young man, Father Nash, with a promising future. I see in you much of myself.’

The young man groped for words. ‘You are too kind, Eminence.’

‘Every man deserves a second chance, Father. Good luck with yours.’

4 comments:

Sheilagh Lee said...

sad that this still happens the victims never really safe.

rallentanda said...

The words this week really lent themselves to a groping priest poem; the topical Catholic bashing media beat up of the moment.

Not that this is an excuse but in relation to the other denominations and public institutions such as foster homes geriatric instituitons schools etc The Catholic Church has less child abuse incidents than the others but of course the media always fail to mention that.

Jae Rose said...

I had lots of visions as i read..yes perhaps a dark monastery..a touch of fantasy also..what was that appetite for? eleventy 1 brilliant words..carefully conjuring up a huge story..

atob said...

Nice one