Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Origins

I give to you the origin of Eleventy 1 in eleventy-one words...

It started with the blog Three Word Wednesday. The owner of said blog posted ‘Fiction in 58,’ stories written in fifty-eight words. The number had no draw for me. But the concept did, especially since I often found it difficult – given my propensity for verbosity – to slash unnecessary words. I therefore decided to transfigure the bloody carcass of Random Rejoinders – the name by which this blog was formerly known – into bite-size story morsels. But my number wasn’t immediately apparent. Until I remembered ‘The Fellowship of the Ring.’ The story begins with Bilbo’s one hundred and eleventh birthday. Except Tolkien uses the word, eleventy-one. My inner geek blossomed; I found my number. 

7 comments:

Old Egg said...

I think it important to establish one's individuality. Uniforms, restricted language and such like are best shunned.

Jae Rose said...

What a beautiful piece...eleven is a very important number - with or without the 1... I'm no mathematician but it has a unique feel to it...

Sheilagh Lee said...

you must always find your own voice.I don't think I could write in 58 words a 100 is hard enough.I prefer a few more;)

Cifar said...

a beautiful piece , a bit intriguing

Failure

rallentanda said...

Excellent.Concise and restrained Some nice lines.My inner geek blossomed ( I like) I enjoyed this.

Karishma Shetty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karishma Shetty said...

So amazing!! I love how you comment on the art of writing and then allude to Tolkien. Have always loved eleventy one ;)