Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sunday Scribblings: Bragging

To begin...

House projects. Putting up drywall. Plumbing. Carpentry of any kind. Laying carpet. Anything associated with electricity. Installations and removals. I'm terrible at all these things. Can barely wield a hammer properly without hurting myself, someone else, or one of the aforementioned housing projects. I can be convinced I've found a stud and then have the shelf I've erected from the ashes of oblivion fall right back to its former state. We tried to overhaul the kitchen in our home; we succeeded in destroying a few things. And then we succeeded at picking up the phone and calling someone who could help. Terrible!

In the process of bragging, I promise.

My memory. Lacking, to say the least. I can barely remember what I did yesterday. What I accomplished. What I ate for lunch. What I wore. It all flitters into the silence of the stars' hazy light.

I can barely sing one octave. My voice cracks on the high end. And it rasps into obscurity on the low.

I think I'm right most of the time. Obnoxiously so.

And speaking of being obnoxious, I'm one of those who corrects grammar. A grammar elitist, you might say. 'It's not between you and I, it's between you and me,' I expound confidently. And it's 'to whom should I send the letter, not to who'. 'I spoke slow? No, I spoke slowly.'

I am afraid. Everything, it seems, proves an obstacle that I hesitate to pass. I would both love and hate to pack myself into a small room full of books and never talk to anyone again.

I have bragging rights to all of the above. Not monopolized by any stretch, I know. But rights nonetheless. Why, you ask?

Because I know all of these things about myself. And in knowing, I do something about each one. I may not always succeed, but I succeed a hell of a lot more times than I fail because I deny denial.

6 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

I'm with you on the grammar thing! Every time I see "there, their, they're" or "your" and "you're" used incorrectly, I just want to scream!

How hard can it be to learn the correct usage of those?

An interesting and entertaining read!

Roan said...

Now that was fun! BJ

anthonynorth said...

This was good. As for me, I'm excellent at DIY. Every time someone suggests I do some, I say: 'do it yourself.'
Hammers, screwdrivers, etc, are totally alien to me.

Anonymous said...

Apart from the grammar thing, I seem to be the opposite of you! Would you like me to sing you a song?

Rob Kistner said...

"...LY" -- it tells 'how'... ;)

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about me Willis?
Could be me except for the grammer thing. My wife is constantly correcting mine...It's annoying as hell.