Tuesday, September 9, 2008

One Single Impression: Defenses Down

An army comes,
Camouflaged in multivariate hue.
Subtle warriors, they.
Unassuming beings
With the patience of a frosty day.

Their opponent
Sits entrenched in their fiery glee.
Convinced of their
Invulnerability.
The high ground yet belongs to them.

The stolid men abide
beneath the setting orb.
Preparing in their fields
With spears the size
Of maize not quite matured.

As the sun lays down
Its last golden blanket on the grass,
The quiet knights
O'ertake the fervid foe
And briskly bear them onward.

Those youngsters rash,
Impervious to their failing warmth
Found their defenses down.
But with their captors
They will train, that autumn may endure.

3 comments:

susan said...

I must confess I don't get military. I don't get war. I am glad I came by to read. And thank you for reading and commenting at BES.

Julie said...

There are some really good images in here, and yet also some things that leave me puzzled. The opening stanza seems to be set in the modern era and the rest in days if yore. I don't think I understand the final couplet.

however, I do like the draining warmth and I do like the maize analogy and I do like "and briskly bear them onward".

Fascinating to read and to ponder upon ...

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for this. I am intrigued by the possibility that soldiers on some level share a common bond, even with the ones in the other camp.