Friday, February 12, 2016

Wheel of Fortune


I give to you a memory in eleventy-one words...

On weekday evenings, my grandparents watched Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Obvious questions caused them to critique contestants with gently inconsolable superiority whilst the more challenging trivia relegated them to docility.

Only sporting events disrupted this nightly ritual. Then, Grandpa – and often my jokester uncle – raucously rooted for their team whilst Grandma watched television in the bedroom.

On one of those exceptional nights, Grandma inadvertently uttered a legendary line in the annals of Murray history. As my uncle exited the bathroom, Grandma squawked, ‘You shoulda took a P’ at the ignorant Wheel of Fortune contestant. Without missing a beat, my uncle retorted, ‘I just did!’

Happy Birthday, Grandma. I miss you.

No comments: